The remains of the Brown Family burial ground can be found in a wooded area off Gardiner Wood Road. There are two ways to reach the small abandoned site. One is by foot, a short walk from Jordan Cove Rd, through heavy brush and woods. The other access is by boat from the Jordan River.¹ The burial ground rests along the water, just south of some railroad tracks, across Jordan Cove what from what is now Pleasure Beach in Waterford.

In 1771, Charles Brown of Norwich purchased from his father, Benjamin Brown, about 60 acres of farmland which contained a “dwelling house thereon,” built around 1753.² Brown’s was evidently the first homestead built on the section of land known as “Bruen’s Neck,” located on the west bank of “Robin Hoods Bay,” what is today called Jordan Cove.³

The main access to the old Brown homestead was probably by a “pentway” that ran south through a farm owned by John Prentis Jr., a wealthy sea captain on Rope Ferry Road, and is now known as Gardiner’s Woods Road.⁴

Charles Brown, born 1742, probably in Groton, Connecticut, was reportedly a Chaplin in the First Connecticut Regiment during the Revolutionary War.⁵

“Charles Brown ended his days there and was buried in the little old cemetery on the edge of the cove. He had set aside this small plot of land for a family burying ground and it was evidently carefully planned and tended at one time”.⁶

Maps found in the Bruen’s Neck file in Robert Bucher’s Colonial Lands of New London Map collection (available from the Waterford Public Library). In 1783, Charles Brown acquired 25 acres of land from the John Prentis estate. “This expanded Charles Brown’s land land westerly and northwesterly, with the westerly boundary on Beebe’s Brook.” (“Bentworth Farm and Millstone Point 1700”, Colonial Lands of New London, p. 247. See even earlier maps of Bruen’s Neck, from Bucher, below.)

Today the area is overgrown and heavily tread. A crumbling rectangular fieldstone enclosure (approximately 20 feet by 22 feet, and standing at around two feet high) remains as evidence of the long-ago burial ground.

The site had already deteriorated with age by the time Margaret Stacy, the late New London City Historian, wrote about it in a 1931 article in The Day.⁷ Stacy noted it had evidently been carefully planned and tended at one time.

“Before the railroad came it was peaceful and lovely and was disturbed only by birds and little wild things. Now it is so hidden away from the road as to be almost impossible to find unless one has been told of its whereabouts”.

During her visit in 1931, Stacy noted the remnants of a large marble headstone, cracked into three pieces blocking the tiny entranceway. She wrote that “it was once a handsome piece of marble but is now yellow with age and the only part of the inscription left is “died Dec. 20, 1816, aged 75 years.” These pieces likely formed a headstone marking Charles Brown’s grave.⁸

Other marble stones said to have been there a few years earlier were gone. One of these headstone likely belonged to Charles Brown’s daughter Lydia.

The Hale collection, a list of headstone inscriptions copied in 1934 as a New Deal public works project, records the following:

Brown, Lydia, died Nov. 11, 1848, age 64 yrs.⁹

— , — , died Dec. 20, 1816

Stacy completes her description of the Brown cemetery thusly:

As it is now, the poor old place is a wreck, overgrown with brush and bayberries and is as most forlorn and utterly neglected as any old burying ground in Waterford.

Today, in 2020, all the headstones, even the remnants of Charles Brown’s headstone noted by Stacy have completely vanished from the site. It is possible that the graves themselves remain on the site, although there is an alternative explanation: they may have been moved to Jordan Cemetery.

It would appear something of a mystery remains, which further research may be needed to solve: A monument to the Brown Family can today be found in Jordan Cemetery.¹⁰ It is unknown when this monument was erected, if it is just a monument to the family or if the graves of Charles Brown, his daughter Lydia (and possibly Charles’s wife Sarah) were moved to Jordan Cemetery at some point.

View of the Jordan River from the Brown Cemetery (left); View of the Jordan River, from bridge on Jordan Cove Road (Photo taken December 6, 2020).

In her 1931 article, Stacy says an older generation in Waterford still remember Henry, “the last member of the Brown family to run the farm”:

Fifty years or so ago, the contour of Jordan cove must have been quite different, the banks being less steep. It was the usual thing at the time of cutting the salt hay to see Henry Brown walking barefoot across the cove at low tide, driving a team of great oxen drawing a heavily laden hay wagon.¹¹

Henry Brown was the father of 12 children, six sons and six daughters. One of his sons, Elder Joseph P Brown, was a Baptist minister in New London for a generation. Stacy writes that, of 1931, “All of Henry Brown’s large family are gone now and the lovely old place has been subdivided into building lots for a summer resort.”

The identity of the original Benjamin Brown who settled in the New London/Waterford area is difficult to determine because his is a popular name among immigrants to these shores. Frances Caulkins does mention in her account of the history of New London, that, in 1645, a Mr. Brown arrived on these shores with his daughter, the wife of Thomas Lee of Saybrook in 1641.¹² Several others with the same name settled in Rhode Island or Massachusetts around the same time.

Caulkins mentions that a Benjamin Brown was a major figure in the New London Whaling Industry during the mid-nineteenth century. When he entered the business in 1830, he took over two previously owned ships, the Friends and the Mentor, and fitted them for the Pacific.¹³ He operated five whaling ships out of New London from 1839 until his death in 1849. Then his sons carried on until 1861.

He also owned a slaughter house and candle factory at 258 Bank Street, built in 1833 (or perhaps as early as 1817). There he cured beef and pork and shipped it in barrels to other ports. The granite ledge outcropping in the river behind his building was the source of the material for his granite building. Conveniently, sailing ships would tie up at this granite outcropping. The property once had a well that supplied water to whaling and merchant ships. On this property he stored hundreds of barrels of whaling oil while waiting for the market to improve.

It is not known whether this Benjamin Brown is from the same Brown family that settled in the area earlier. Today the number of Brown family members are too numerous to count in the New London County area. Many are probably direct descendants of the Benjamin Brown family. And many are other distant family members.

Brown cemetery. Waterford, CT (December 6, 2020)

Notes

1. According to Robert Bucher, the “Jordan River” was originally called the “Uhiouh River” — “the salt water trail of Jordan Brook as it ran southerly, through the marshes, from Jordan Mill to Jordan Cove. This name as various spellings. The name is very old and is mentioned in a deed to Bruen’s Neck by Obadiah Bruen to James Rogers in 1660.” See Bucher, Robert L. “Places and Names,” The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn. ,vol. 1, 1984, p. 65–66

2. Margaret Stacy writes that the Brown farm originally “belonged to the three Beebys” and only later came into possession of the Brown family: Ebenezer Darrow, who had owned the farm in the first half of the eighteenth century, sold it to Eleazer Truman of Plum Island in 1751. Two years later, Truman sold the tract to Benjamin Brown. Stacy reports that the farm “came into the possession” of Charles Brown, “a relative [of Benjamin’s] who bought it” for 1600 pounds. Robert Bucher, however, writes that “Benjamin Brown had given his son, Charles Brown, his 60 acres at Bruen’s Neck (‘being the homestead where I now dwell’) in 1771”. See Stacy, Margaret Hilliar, “Brown Farm in Waterford Is One of Oldest Grants,” The New London Day [New London], 8 July 1931; Bucher, Robert L. “Bentworth Farm and Millstone Point 1700,” The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn. , vol. 1, 1984, p. 245–247.

3. Robert Bucher reports that “Jordan Cove” used to be called “Robin Hoods Bay.” “This name is mentioned in a deed for Bruen’s Neck by Obadiah Bruen to James Rogers in 1660. This name for Jordan Cove was universally used in the early days of the town”. See Bucher, Robert L. “Places and Names,” The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn. ,vol. 1, 1984, p. 64

Robert L. Bucher’s maps of Bruen’s Neck, circa 1737 (left); circa 1750 (right); see even earlier maps of Bruen’s Neck below. For information about Stephen Prentis’s land, see “Bentworth Farm and Millstone Point” in Bucher’s The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn. , vol. 1, 1984, p. 245–247.

4. Bucher surmised that the road originated as a “pentway” between Prentis’s house on Rope Ferry Road and barn on the southern end of Bruen’s Neck. See Bucher, Robert L. “Bentworth Farm and Millstone Point 1700,” The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn., vol. 1, 1984, p. 245.

More information about the Prentis family will be provided in a forthcoming article.

5. See entry on Rev. Charles Benjamin Brown on the “Diana, Goddess of the Hunt — for Ancestors!” genealogy website”

6. See Stacy, Margaret Hilliar, “Brown Farm in Waterford Is One of Oldest Grants,” The New London Day [New London], 8 July 1931

7. Ibid.

8. According to the genealogy website Ancestry.com, Charles Benjamin Brown was born in Groton, New London County, Connecticut, in 1742 to Benjamin Brown and Deborah Lucy Wheeler; he passed away on December 20, 1816. (There are two entries, each with incomplete information: here and here). Charles Brown married Sarah Gorton; see also The Gorton Family website. See Stacy, Margaret Hilliar, “Brown Farm in Waterford Is One of Oldest Grants,” The New London Day [New London], 8 July 1931

9. Lydia is listed among Charles Brown’s 10 children on various genealogy websites, such as the one belonging to the Gorton Family. Lydia was born on January 20, 1785 and died November 11, 1848. She never married.

The author believes the second inscription likely belonged to Charles Brown.

10. Find a Grave, database and images (accessed 14 December 2020), memorial page for Rev Charles Benjamin Brown (1742–14 Dec 1816), Find a Grave Memorial no. 54934362, citing Jordan Cemetery, Waterford, New London County, Connecticut, USA ; Maintained by Janice Watrous (contributor 46854736) . <https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/54934362/charles-benjamin-brown>

11. Stacy, Ibid.

12. Caulkins, Frances Manwaring. History of New London, Connecticut: From the First Survey of the Coast in 1612 to 1852. United States, The author, 1860. p. 176

13. See Colby, Barnard Ledward. Whaling Captains of New London County, Connecticut : for Oil and Buggy Whips. United States, Mystic Seaport Museum, 1990; The Log of Mystic Seaport, vols. 40–41. United States, Mystic Historical Association, 1988.

Bruen’s Neck circa 1700 (left); circa 1730 (right). “The Bruen’s Neck tract was mentioned in the Harwood deed to the Beebes (1) as land given to Bruen, but in the deed from Obadiah Bruen to James Rogers in 1660 (8), it seems that tract was made up of formal grants and ‘old ground’ with an Indian planting ground near the northeast coiner of the ‘old graund’. Since James Rogers had made his home in the General Neck, there was probably no building activity on this tract. The writer has no idea as to when James Rogers died or’ when and how this land changed hands. It later emerges in the name of Joseph Rogers. As to the remainder of the area, the land north of Bruen’s Neck and south of Rope Ferry Road was still common and undivided.” Bucher, Robert L. “Bentworth Farm and Millstone Point 1700,” The Colonial Lands of New London, Conn. ,vol. 1, 1984, p. 242